Thursday, March 5, 2015

City Poems for Bruges

Sometimes a request to translate poetry into English leads to more than just the translation and the corrections. This certainly was the case for this translation of the strange and strong poetry by Lies Van Gasse. Luc Vanneste was great in reading through the text and publishing it and for giving me a lot of food for thought.
I have a lot of sympathy for the Lapperfort Poets Society. It reminds me of the thoughtful anarchy I strive for.

Last year I translated the poetry of Peter Theunynck my then co-chair of the Writers in Prison Committee of PEN-Flanders. His writing is deep and thoughtful, knowledgeable about the history and present of Bruges. Some jobs just bring their own rewards.

Enjoy the links to these two beautiful poets!

No comments:

Post a Comment